Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Linocut/Screenprints in Progress






I counted today- I have 6 prints in various stages at the moment. 2 of them are going to be mixed media prints. Specifically, I'm trying a combination of relief and screenprinting. It's exciting to be doing linocuts after a long time away from it- but its taking me a little bit of getting used to it. I've gotten so used to the fine detail I can have with using scratchboard that I get a bit impatient and frustrated with the relief medium- which leads me to believe my next relief prints are going to be slightly larger in scale.
The plan with these "trial" prints is to run 2-3 colors of screenprinted layers, then 1-2 relief passes, with perhaps a follow up with one more screenprinted layer. I'll be printing the blocks on my Poco Proof Press, which I inherited last year through the good graces of my friend and impresario, John Corbett (of Corbett Vs. Dempsey Gallery). The registration doesn't have to be perfect, which should help the process. I know that last sentence will make some readers laugh, as my prints have a lot of built in registration insanity to begin with, but I honestly do plan it that way. Really!
The block and print sizes on these are approximately 12 x 19 inches. Here's a few photos of a sketch and 2 blocks in progress. I'll post follow up photos over the next few days.

1 comment:

Shad said...

HOLY wow..I didn't know that you had a blog. This is my new favorite place.